Sunday, November 12, 2017

Arizona Ziggurat

Driving back from Flagstaff yesterday, going down State Route 89A towards Sedona, we were fortunate enough to get caught in heavy traffic. I say fortunate, because the frequent stops allowed us to take photos with our point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix of some lovely scenery.

All of the geological structures around here have names, but I can't place this one exactly and haven't taken the time to retrace just where it was. It looks to me like a South American ziggurat, only this one was carved in the layers and layers of Arizona sedimentary rock by wind and water. I looked through some geological history videos describing the process and found a good one that I included below.

I took a little time with this photo, cropping and retouching it to bring out the features. I left it really large, so I think it's worth a click. Enjoy!


1 comment:

ligneus said...

Isn't it amazing what the 'little' cameras can do? I have a Canon G7, it's just fantastic, I use my Nikon D7100 less and less. If it only had a viewfinder as well as the screen......

O/T but I found this amusing. The Brits are big on nick names.

From Wikipedia on John Eliot Gardiner the conductor:

In his spare time, Gardiner runs an organic farm at Springhead near Fontmell Magna[28] in North Dorset, which was established by his great uncle, composer Henry Balfour Gardiner. His continued involvement in this project has earned him the nickname 'Uphill Gardiner' as a consequence of his unorthodox farming methods.